Covering television news has never been more demanding – or more exciting. Join award winning BBC Producer Tira Shubart for a two-day course on how to turn breaking news, diary items, and features into powerful stories that inform, engage, and move viewers.
This course is for working journalists keen to become better at engaging with their audiences, conduct first-rate interviews and evidence on-camera skills. The course will equip you with an ability to connect with both your English and Swahili audiences while dramatically improving your presence and performance.
Tira Shubart is a veteran trainer with more than 15 years experience in Africa working with clients such as Al Jazeera, the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association and Frontline News.
- Television logistics and how to derive value from your team
- How to get the most out of your cameraman
- An ability to produce breaking news; diary items and features
- Effective interviewing of government officials, politicians and ordinary people
- How to use your microphone effectively
- Conducting walk-and-talks, stand ups, and live interviews in studio
- Getting the most out of press conferences
- Staying safe in hostile reporting environments
- Participants will do exercises, case studies, and lots of hands-on work
- To produce sample stories, participate in a mock news conference, and conduct interviews
- You will have access to state of the art camera kits, audio and editing gear
- You will learn by seeing, by hearing, and by doing
Television reporters and producers with three to five years of experience. This course is for journalists keen on strengthening their skills as they prepare for their next assignment.