Specialised reporting still forms the bedrock of great journalism.
Today’s best reporters remain those who possess in-depth knowledge of specific issues, organizations, agencies, and regions. They use that knowledge to craft accessible, authoritative stories that impact their communities and society for good. Their work informs, influences and illuminates.
Join Stephen Buckley, former Washington Post Africa Bureau Chief, in this three day course designed to give specialist reporters a deep grounding in the skills and values they need to do great work.
You will look at the daily habits of the best specialist reporters and learn how to hold the powerful accountable in even the most challenging specialties.
Stephen Buckley has over 25 years experience in the media. He is the former Washington Post Africa Bureau Chief and Managing Editor of the St. Petersburg Times in Florida, US.
- How to develop sources and generate great story ideas
- Basic accountability reporting and production of high-impact in-depth stories
- Conducting effective interviews and coverage of breaking news in a specialty area
- Effective time management and handling of ethical challenges in specialised reporting
- How to report and write for social media
- Production of quality videos and photos that you can publish
- Highly interactive course run by experienced professionals
- Hands-on work that covers writing for the web, making videos and producing photos
- State of the art facility
This course is primarily for print reporters who cover a speciality and those seeking to develop an expertise in specialist reporting.